Saturday, November 26, 2011

Wonder Woman?

Lorie Graves was working for us at 123 Fit in Ventura California. Lorie's job was to generate leads, as a sales and marketing person, Lorie Graves was supposed to be in charge of things like parties and setting up appointments then meeting members at the gym, set up tours, and close the sale.

BUT, as I said earlier, Lorie Graves had a different agenda. Lorie Graves would set up appointments from her lead boxes, and then "walk away". So here we have an employee that was not onsite except for meetings, and we had no way of tracking her activity.

Additionally, the percentage of people that showed up for her appointments was far lower than any other gym employee, and Lorie Graves made zero sales.

So, Lorie Graves was out in the world working half time and getting paid full time.
Lorie Graves was getting paid to generate leads, which she had the opportunity to convert to her own personal training clients. Of which Lorie never brought her clients into our facility.

Lorie Graves was a salaried employee, and the highest paid member of the staff. When we started doing parties on Saturday, she told me she could not do the work because she had to take care of her personal training clients. BUT, it was part of her job to do these parties, and up to her to schedule her week around these commitments.

So you tell me, was Lorie Graves a good employee? No, she was in it for the money, and as a result I got taken.

I am posting this so that in the future, people will know what type of employee/person Lorie Graves was. From my perspective she was the type of employee that felt entitled. I spent years saving up the money to open the gym, and I went without a paycheck for several years so my employees would get paid. Yet here we have a person that felt justified working part time for full time pay, and probably taking leads for her own personal gain that were paid for by me. Lorie Graves in my opinion is a person of low moral character!

Here is where it gets really good! When I let Lorie graves go, I paid her extra over and above what she worked, and I paid her health insurance for several months. I didn't have to do these things, but I felt it was the right thing to do.

How did Ms Graves repay me? By filing a complaing with the State. You see in California, when you let someone go, you are supposed to pay all monies owed right away. Where I came from, you got paid on the next paycheck. So I paid her within less 2 weeks after she was let go, paid her more than what she was owed, and paid health insurance for several months. After the several months had gone by, she files a complaint with the EDD. When whe were in front of the arbitrator, I looked her in the eye and asked why she was doing this? her response was "I have no answer".

She did it because the regulations said she could, and she felt entitled to my hard earned money, simply because I employed her. What an awful system we have. It tore me up when she did this. And during that time, I had gotten quite ill with a terminal illness called Pulmonary Fibrosis. so, if she wants to collect on the judgement, she can take the money from a dead person...

No comments:

Post a Comment